INFO from the SENCO

By Kristen Ferguson | Posted: Thursday June 9, 2022

Occupational therapy addresses the physical, cognitive, psychosocial and sensory components of performance.

In schools, occupational therapy practitioners focus on academics, play and leisure, social participation, self-care skills and transition/ work skills.

OTs (Occupational Therapists) plan and direct therapy treatment, including physical and social activities, carry out workplace or home safety assessments, provide advice on equipment or recommend changes to the home or work environments, and advise clients on changes to their lifestyle to help them with daily activities.

If you are concerned about your child's academics, social participation, gross or fine motor skills or self-care routines, an OT might the right person to contact. An appointment with your child's GP is always the best "first stop" in making the right type of referral for your child. Here are a few other places to contact if you're interested in an Occupational Therapist assessment for your child. 

What is an Occupational Therapist? (video)

Occupational Therapists in Education 

Who Can Help? You can contact me and I can make a referral to the Ministry of Education for Occupational Therapy support for your child, or you can contact these local agencies to learn about what they offer. 

ReThink Children's TherapyLeith Occupational TherapyKidsLink

Please don't hesitate to get in touch if you would like to speak further about Occupational Therapy for your child. 

Kristen Ferguson

[email protected]